16 October 2023

Two Lytell prayers ...

Having recently visited King Henry VI (although not the large school near Slough) I am moved to share with you ...

Two lytell prayers whiche King Henry the Syxte made:

Domine Jhesu Christe, qui me creasti, redemisti et praeordinasti ad hoc quod sum: tu scis quid de me facere vis; fac de me secundum voluntatem tuam cum misericordia.

Domine Jhesu Christe, qui solus es sapientia; tu scis que michi peccatori expediunt; prout tibi placet et sicut in oculis tue maiestatis videtur, de me ita fiat cum misericordia tua. Amen.

Pater Noster.                          Ave Maria. 

 

3 comments:

Ben Whitworth said...

The first lytell prayer is familiar to me in the translation by Eric Milner-White, written presumably when he was dean of Henry VI's foundation, King's College, Cambridge: O Lord Jesus Christ, who hast created and redeemed me, and hast brought me unto that which now I am, thou knowest what thou wouldst do with me; do with me according to thy will; for thy tender mercy's sake. Amen.

Adrian Furse said...

The first prayer is regularly used, set to music by Henry Ley, though 'quid' has been emended to 'quae' (in the 1990s - I'm not entirely sure why)

Adrian Furse said...

A recording with the original text: https://youtu.be/fkw8SnNqs6k?si=SE3iD-33egtCzR0v