8 October 2023

Pius VII on 26 August 1814

 On that day, Pius VII issued an indulgenced form of devotion. It is quite long, so I cannot repeat it in full. Here is just a summary.

It begins with five paragraphs. Each of these in turn concludes with:

Laudes et gratiae sint omni momento Sanctissimo ac divinissimo Sacramento. 

Pater, Ave, Gloria.

1 I confess the presence in the Sacrament of True God and True Man, and intend to make satisfaction for the coldness of so many Christian hearts which stand before God's Temples, and even before the Holy Tabernacle, with indifference. In expiation, I offer You the Blood You shed from Your Left Foot.

2 I intend to make satisfaction for ungrateful Christians who, seeing You carried in Viaticum, leave You unaccompanied. In expiation, I offer You the Blood You shed from Your Right Foot.

3 I intend to make satisfaction for the wounds which are daily offered to Your Heart by the profanation of Churches. In expiation, I offer You the Blood You shed from the Wound in Your Left Hand.

4 I intend to make satisfaction to You for so many irreverences, daily offered to You by Your Faithful while they are at Mass. In expiation, I offer You the Blood You shed from the Wound in Your Right Hand.

5 I intend to make satisfaction for the sacrilegious irreverences offered to You by Your Faithful who dare to receive You while the are guilty of Mortal Sin. In expiation, I offer You the very last drops of Blood You shed from the Wound in Your Sacred Side: where I desire to be hidden and to worship You with all the souls who are bound in love towards the Most Holy Sacrament.

The devotion then ends with Tantum ergo; V Panem de caelo; Deus qui nobis.

Benedict XVI wished the cause for the Beatification of Pius VI to be be resumed. Is it surprising?

  

2 comments:

Tamquam said...

Five Wounds Patrimony! Love it!

William Tighe said...

"Benedict XVI wished the cause for the Beatification of Pius VI to be be resumed. Is it surprising?"

Pius VI? Or Pius VII?