7 March 2014

Update

As you know, I have, since reviving this blog, declined to enable comments which abuse the Holy Father or the members of the English hierarchy, either individually or collectively. This will continue to be so. But, additionally, I shall not enable comments which seem to me in the least divisive; divisive vis-a-vis other Catholics; divisive vis-a-vis non-Catholics; or in the teensy weensiest bit uncharitable. This will be the blog that never upsets anyone! My decision results from the words of Cardinal Mueller about Ordinariate blogs; it is, I think, an immensely reasonable request on his part that, having taken advantage of Pope Benedict's generous offer of Full Communion with the See of Peter, we should not import into the Catholic Church the cheerful mud-slinging habits of our Anglican Patrimony. So you all need to become sensitive and unaggressive, like proper Catholic bloggers. I shall, myself, follow the same policy: I think the only possibly upsetting posts I have published recently were one which criticised 'ultra-ultra-traddies' of a sedevacantist disposition who do not believe that Novus Ordo Sacraments and Orders are valid; and another which took apart the Brentwood liturgist who wrote around telling the clergy that it was perfectly OK to use the old, now superseded, ICEL translation of the Missal if they didn't like the new one. I expect these people are all very sensitive types, and if, hitherto, they have sobbed into their unresponsive pillows in the lonely watches of the night because of what I wrote, I'll spare them that in future!

So - readers - please do not put me to the embarrassing unpleasantness of having to censor you! If your contribution fails to pop up, it will be because I deem it upsetting or divisive!

8 comments:

J said...

Good idea, and useful example. Thanks.

SAM said...

From Catholic Herald:

The prefect (Müeller) went on to issue a word of warning about the potential problems caused by the “new media”, particularly through blogs. He said that some of the ordinariate clergy and faithful wrote blogs, which, while being a helpful tool of evangelisation, could also “express un-reflected speech lacking in charity”. The image of the ordinariate was not helped by this, he said, and it fell to the ordinaries to exercise vigilance over these blogs and, where necessary, to intervene.

Tito Edwards said...

Fr.,

Ever thought of updating the look of your blog?

Do you need any assistance?

:)

Tito Edwards
Editor
BigPulpit.com

Eugenie Roth said...

That's what I wanted to say ... Bless you, Father!

Lawrence Hall, HSG said...

Catholic 'bloggers attempting to be sensitive? Perhaps when Buna, Texas freezes over.

Fr Barry Tomlinson said...

I'm sure you are absolutely right, Father. I can understand the need to try to justify one's move from one part of the Catholic church to another, but rudeness about the Church of England will not aid ecumenism, nor the love that ought to exist between fellow Christians.

Jacobi said...

Father,

As one who has had a comment turned down, I shall be more careful in future, if and when.

My recollection is that I was attempting to be whimsically reflective about some Popes. But I shall stop that!

As for never upsetting anyone that’s more difficult. That rules out so many quotes from Pius IX, St Pius X, Pius XI, (my favourite Pope) and of course, Benedict XVI!

Chris said...

"I charge thee, before God and Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead, by his coming, and his kingdom: Preach the word: be instant in season, out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doctrine.

For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables. 5But be thou vigilant, labour in all things, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil thy ministry. Be sober." - 2 Timothy 4