17 March 2014

The Blogging Crisis

Fr Tim Finigan has written with such wisdom and concision that I feel there is nothing to add, except perhaps this.

Clerical bloggers do a vast amount of self-censorship, largely so as to protect the reputation of the Church, and not least of the Bishops, in this country. They even refrain from writing about matters in which they have been painfully and personally involved, so as not to damage further the Church's image. They suppress information which is sent to them. And they find themselves trying to calm people down and to reassure the troubled.

To be presented, as a result of these efforts, with the news that one is a Problem; that one is to be treated like a Naughty Little Boy who needs to be Carefully Watched and Strictly Disciplined, leaves a distinctly unpleasant taste in the mouth.

4 comments:

Sig Sønnesyn said...

Perhaps, then, this is as good a time as any to thank you for your good work which has brought so much good to so many, and to mention that I keep you in my prayers, unworthy as they are. May God bless you and the work you do.

Genty said...

The clericalism which dare not speak its name! One of my greatest privileges was to kiss hands following your ordination.
Keep writing and I'll keep reading and praying.

David Murphy said...

I am not a clerical blogger, Father John, but I hope that you will find that my blogging is also loyal, reflected and charitable, and I know this is true for many other bloggers among the lay faithful.

I do not censor myself, I just would not make public comments of a derisory nature about the Church or indeed other people of good will, and I expect no less of my fellow Christians. For this reason I do not hesitate to delete uncharitable comments from our blog.

David Murphy
Ordinariate Expats

Jason W. said...

Your blog gives me hope Father. I hope you keep doing what you are doing.

God bless you!