24 October 2018

Voces, vestes ... O flebile flumen!

I dropped into the Quod for a quick lunch ... I find a starter and a pud (with tapwater) set me up nicely for an afternoon; they don't give me that terribly heavy feeling in the legs which I suffer after a main course and a glass of wine.

It was full of youthful Americans (this was the second week of term).


I knew they were Americans, even before I tuned into their idiolect, because of their garb. I think you might know what I mean about their clothing: elaborately casual, in a way that says "I'm not pompous; you won't catch me formally dressed", but also says "I'm sure you are not so ill-bred as to fail to observe how expensively I'm dressed."


Some of them may well have been descended (collaterally, of course) from the Oover who so memorably brought his national taciturnity to the last Dinner of the Junta during that disastrously parthenolatreutic Eights Week.

Their youthful charm greatly enhanced the Foie Gras and the Fig Pavlova with which I restored my aged frame.

I wonder if they've found out where the river is yet.

7 comments:

Tom Broughton said...

Hmmmm ... you told some rather interesting anecdotes, which was nice and entertaining. On a semi-related topic, I am curious to know what your starter was and what type of pudding you had.

Fr PJM said...

Before I proceed, God bless America! No ill will meant from this Canadian.

So an Italian fellow is seated in a Roman café, and at the next table are seated two American ladies.
One says to the other, "Well, we've been here in Rome for a day and a half, I'm sure we've seen everything."
The Italian dryly asks, "But have you seen the Coliseum?
"Yes, yes", says one.
"When are they going to finish it?"

Frugifex said...

In other news: Princess Alexandra of Hanover has been removed from her place in the British line of succession. "What crime" ask you "has the young woman committed to deserve such a degradation?"

Why, she (the horror), became a Catholic.

Sue Sims said...

Alas, Father, I'm baffled by the allusions in your fourth paragraph. Could you or someone elucidate?

Fr John Hunwicke said...

Zuleika Dobson.

Fr PJM said...

"Unknown" above, for technical reasons, is Fr Paul McDonald from Canada. I did not mean to be anonymous.

Dale Crakes said...

Stop being so little England insular if your going to address a worldwide audience padre. I'm a liberal arts grad but this comment, though I sure EXTREMELY WITTY,went over or under my head; perhaps some form of AC now RC Oxford in crowd humor. "Some of them may well have been descended (collaterally, of course) from the Oover who so memorably brought his national taciturnity to the last Dinner of the Junta during that disastrously parthenolatreutic Eights Week."