18 August 2017

A Problem

Hmmmmph. A Problem. Some time ago I ran into a friend I had not seem for some time. In the course of conversation, he communicated to me the information that the Conclave for the election of the next Pope will take place in October. He was taciturn, but confident, about his sources.

Well, there you go. My own instinct had been that the present occupant of the Roman See would carry on as long as he could, so as to make his own particular agenda even more rigidly safe, and to make yet more of his wise appointments.

So, in an unwise moment, I advanced a reckless wager that my friend was wrong.

Now I've got Cold Feet. Suppose my friend knows something I don't know ...  What will he say when my cheque bounces?

Dear Readers, I desperately need the current pontificate to carry on at least until the early hours of All Saints' Day, Greenwich Mean Time.

I look to everyone to do anything they can to ensure this.

7 comments:

Joshua said...

Be careful what you wish for! God sometimes grants in his wrath what he withholds in his mercy.

PS I can't wait for the Conclave. To begin on or after 13th October, I suppose? As a devout Chinese Catholic lady is said to have said, "Our Lady - very powerful!"

Michael Leahy said...

Sorry, Father, but I find it hard to wish you success in your wager. I have no objection if you wish to pass around a basket.

Donna Bethell said...

Father, you ask too little! If I understand the wager correctly, you can win if the conclave occurs before October. Oremus.

Reader said...

Great. 3 popes.

Lepanto said...

As Michael Leahy suggests, if you lose we'll have a 'whip-round'. I am confident that you will make a considerable profit, no matter how much you may have wagered.

Grant Milburn said...

Three popes? We haven't seen each that since the time of John XXIII (Baldassarre, not Angelo.)

Albrecht von Brandenburg said...

Apocalypse Chapter 12. Have a look at the article in The Remnant, concerning The Woman Clothed With the Sun, and remember the 100th anniversary of Fatima.