21 September 2019

The Fellowship of prayer

There are some very attractive and simple little prayer cards going round; they show the Hearts of our Saviour (surmounted by a cross and surrounded by the Crown of Thorns); of his immaculate Mother (pierced by a sword and wreathed in roses); and of his Fosterfather (with a lily). This design is from a fresco in the Private Chapel of His Eminence Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke, a small representation of whose seal is at the bottom.

The text:
Cor Iesu Sacratissimum, miserere nobis.
Cor Mariae Immaculatum, iter para tutum.
Cor Ioseph Castissimum, iter serva tutum.

The translations printed are:
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us. Immaculate Heart of Mary, make safe our way. Purest Heart of Joseph, keep safe our way.

(In the more expansive 'Cranmerian' liturgical dialect we use in the Anglophone Ordinariates, one might render:
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy upon us. Immaculate Heart of Mary, prepare for us a safe journey. Most Chaste Heart of Joseph, keep our journey safe.)

(The second and third invocations would each acquire a partial indulgence: Encheiridion 17:2:3 and 19.)

1 comment:

Pastor in Monte said...

As a very small child I was taught a prayer by my father, who was taught it by his mother: the first part is familiar to many: I have never found anyone else who has been taught the second part, but maybe it is familiar to someone reading this.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
look on me a little child;
Pity mine and pity me,
Suffer me to come to thee.
Heart of Jesus I adore thee,
Heart of Mary I implore thee,
Heart of Joseph, pure and just;
In these three hearts I put my trust. Amen.