3 November 2016

All Souls Day (CORRECTED, with thanks and apologies)

Yesterday, NLM Rorate rightly castigated those ORDO RECITANDIs which just instruct a priest to say the third of his three All Sous Day Masses for "the [current] Roman Pontiff's Intentions". Those who browse through  the ORDO which I compile for people who still worship according to the Church of England or the Novus Ordo will know that I give the genuine information: that Mass should be said according to the Intentions of Pope Benedict XV, "for the souls of all, especially youth, who fall victim to the appalling carnage of war."

NLM Rorate does not mention that Pope Benedict XV also linked in here "and to make up for testamentary masses neglected or forgotten".

Since we have most of November, the Month of the Departed, still before us, I take the liberty of deferentially suggesting to my reverend brethren in the Sacred Priesthood the good sense of that last Intention. In England, thousands of Masses endowed before 1559 are never said. I try to remember to say Masses for those who endowed Masses but whose endowments were, at the 'reformation', annexed to either my own School or College or University thus making me one of their beneficiaries; and also for some whom I got to know because I met them in my historical researches as I wandered around in the period 1490-1510 within the County of Devon.

Yes, Master Holyborton (I hope you enjoyed your pilgrimage to Jerusalem) ... Yes, Dame Thomasina (what a good idea it was to found that school) ... I mean you ... among others ...

And, having the good fortune to belong to the Ordinariate, I sometimes say the Votive of the Five Wounds, which was so often endowed in medieval England instead of Requiems. A translation of the once immensely popular old Sarum texts for that Votive is to be found in our very splendid Ordinariate Missal. Those texts are closely similar to the Tridentine Votive Humiliavit.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

"Bracton takes no undergraduates. It was founded in 1300 for the support of ten learned men whose duties were to pray for the soul of Henry de Bracton and study the laws of England. The number of Fellows has gradually increased to forty, of whom only six now study Law and of whom none, perhaps, prays for the soul of Bracton."

Gregory DiPippo said...

Good Father, that was on Rorate, not NLM.

Gregory DiPippo said...

Optime Pater, that was on Rorate, not us.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2016/11/guest-op-ed-on-third-mass-for-all-souls.html