24 October 2015

Check it?

Fr Zed gives information about an online version of the Liturgia Horarum in Latin. I am intrigued to know if anyone has tidied up the endless errors and misprints in the 1986 version I possess. Here is an easy way of checking. Cathedra Petri, February 22, occurs both in volume II and III for obvious reasons. In 1986, in Volume II, a line is missed out of the Patristic reading from S Leo, rendering the end of the first paragraph unintelligible gibberish. In Volume II, the missing line remains in the text.

I would be very interested if someone could check that for me! I am, in both senses of the term, curious!

5 comments:

Matthew Hazell said...

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it:

Vol II. "Magnum et mirabile, dilectissimi, huic viro consortium potentiae suae tribuit divina dignatio; et, si quid cum eo commune ceteris dedit, quidquid aliis non negavit."

Vol III: "Magnum et mirabile, dilectissimi, huic viro consortium potentiae suae tribuit divina dignatio; et, si quid cum eo commune ceteris voluit esse principibus, numquam nisi per ipsum dedit, quidquid aliis non negavit."

The date contained in the copyright information in the PDFs is 2010. So it looks like this electronic version is an exact copy of the 1985 editio typica altera, just with the additions of new saints' days rather than any corrections in the pre-existing material.

StMichael said...

I would just note that some Opus Dei member has created a very handy electronic full copy of the Liturgia Horarum, sans any significant typos or errors. I use this version daily, and it was free. http://www.almudi.org/Portals/0/docs/Breviario/fuentes/breviario.html

Ivan said...

On a side note, there is now another, cheaper chance to buy the whole Patrologia Latina (but with 4 supplements, I have seen 5 on another) - http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=12481976033 - only 4000 Euro! I say you should start a fundraiser and start clearing the shelves. :)

Fr John Hunwicke said...

St Michael: do I take it you have checked the February 22 texts?

Steve Perisho said...

Fr. Hunwicke:

The phrase missing from vol. 2 is present in the online edition of the Liturgia horarum mentioned by StMichael. (Though I consult that online version often, I can't say that "I use [it] daily.")