19 July 2015

Our Lady of Candelaria

Dear me, how superstition does still flourish! Rorate has a video of some cardinal worshipping the pagan goddess Pachamama (although it does not reveal whether he went all the way and performed the all-important traditional sacrifice of llama foetuses).

I had thought that, after the spread of Christianity in Latin America, this goddess, mother of both the Sun and the Moon (gosh, I bet the midwife needed to stitch her up after that!!), had her cult replaced by that of our blessed Lady the Mother of God sub titulo Candelaria. Clearly, I was wrong. Cardinals always know best!

Last time I had the privilege to spend a happy week at our Lady of the Atonement, I was taken to see the superbly restored and beautified Cathedral in San Antonio, with its splendid Shrine of our Lady of Candelaria. I have rarely seen anything so lovely.

I can recommend it to Cardinal Wozname. If he could try to develop a devotion to our Lady, and then get permission from Archbishop Gustavo to celebrate Pontifical High Mass in either the Extraordinary Form or the Anglican Use at the Shrine of our Lady of Candelaria in the Lone Star State, he would find it a much more joyous business that all that grim and gloomy syncretism!

Beata Maria de Candelaria Deipara Virgo et Mater Laetitiae, ora pro nobis.

2 comments:

Liam Ronan said...

I shouldn't wonder that the Cardinal and the natives are restless, Father. Pachman was a very popular video game world-wide in the 1970s and 80s largely because, after a few beers, people found it became a wonderful way of summoning ghosts. The more beer, the more ghosts popped-up in the game board maize.

There has been some heated scholarly debate about the etymology of the word 'Pachman', with some arguing it is a truncated form of 'Pachamama' (literally rendered 'the pachyderm's mother') while others hold it is simply a pseudo-word designed to give the illusion of action but signifying nothing.

Personally I preferred to eat pizza and play Lady Pachman. Hope this has helped.

alienus dilectus said...

This stuff is common. One example: When I visited Mexico City about 12 years ago, specifically to venerate the tilma of Juan Diego, I noticed statues of St. Charbel Makhlouf everywhere. How did that Maronite saint receive such a following in the land of Our Lady of Guadalupe? I noticed too that these statues were covered with all sorts of ex voto ribbons and trinkets. I soon learned that St. Charbel is merely a proxy for Santa Muerte, Holy Death -- black robes, hood, long beard, etc. Many of those ex votos were actually instances of cursings being laid upon certain less fortunate persons!