9 December 2010

Browsing completely aimlessly ...

... as one so often does on the internet, I found myself reading about "Allen Hall". I discovered myself informed that the motto of the college is Vivamus in spe, "which means We Live In Hope".

Oh dear me. Whatever would the erudite and admirable Cardinal Allen have said about so elementary a howler as not knowing the difference between indicatives and subjunctives? Obviously not a place where the Extraordinary Form is lovingly and carefully inculcated.

Can anyone explain to me the origins of the impaled arms? Is the Heraldry as dodgy as the Latinity?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that Vivamus in spe means in this context ''Let us live in hope''.

jeffdownie said...

Fr., we have to 'live with what we have got', so I will refrain from comment on the Latin, although it has been discussed in house.

As for the heraldry: 3 coneys from the arms of Cardinal Allen; the Cross of St. George honours the English Martyrs; 3 stars from the arms of St. Edmund of Abingdon.

There are similarities with those of Ushaw Seminary,which shares the Douai heritage and also with those of St. Edmunds College Ware, home to Allen Hall until 1975.

No EF here, although we have a very solemn Novus Ordo from time to time. Latin is compulsory for most students these days.

You are often discussed at breakfast, so please try not to be too naughty...

Neill said...

Do any of you Latin scholars know the correct translation of Indocti Discant? It is a school motto, apparently an extract from one of the works of Horace.

APL said...

I would also like an accurate translation of

"Fato prudentia Major" and

"Humani semper contendimus"

CPKS said...

Since better men than I remain silent, I will try my best:

Indocti means "those untutored" and discant "let them learn" - so a translation might be "Let the untutored learn".

Fato prudentia maior: literally "prudence is greater than fortune", perhaps best translated as "better to rely on prudence than luck"?

"Humani semper contendimus" - we humans are always striving.

APL said...

Thanks for your help!

CPKS said...

Glad I could help. I think my translations are trustworthy, as the real classicists around here would have been down on me like a ton of bricks had I slipped up!